This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focused on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
They have a specific order of doing things.
It is a ceremony to welcome the guests that are visiting the Marae.
It is like the ancestors that were on a Marae.
It is the visitors that are on the Marae.
The rights to stand on a Marae.
The family members that are connected to a Marae.
Caring for the elders.
The love and giving for others.
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is how often are there visitors that come on the Marae.